Chinese Proverb

"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Chinese Proverb.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Rehearsal, torn tendon and play-in

I attended my first rehearsal a few weeks ago with FCO, a community orchestra, and it went surprisingly "well." "Well" meaning I wasn't completely lost, although the first few run-throughs I was a lost as usual. It always throws me off when I hear other players play their part. What can I say, I get distracted easily! ;)

I also came somewhat unprepared since I hadn't practiced much, and haven't had a cello lesson in a REALLY long time! ...and I really need one!!! aaarrghh... :(
The concert is less than one month away, so it's time for me to do some serious practicing. I figure I don't have to be the best, but I sure as hell better NOT be the worst! Normally what get's me practicing more is telling myself, "I'm not going to be the weakest link, I'm not going to be the weakest link..." Lol!! :) Not very positive I know, but it works for me. Not to be mean or anything, but a group is only as strong as their weakest player so I don't want to be the one holding everyone back. Unfortunately, right now I think I may be the weakest player due to my lack of experience and ability, so by concert time I want to be kicking some ass and totaling hitting all my notes!

Anyway, I also tore a tendon in my middle finger (on my right hand) a few weeks ago. Luckily it wasn't my left hand, but I am right-handed so typing and writing has been difficult. I currently cannot play pizzicato while holding the bow, or pizz very quickly because the splint gets in the way, but I'm getting better at it. I'm fairly certain I'll be able to perform for the May 3rd concert though.

I have a doctors appointment next week to see if my tendon will reattach itself. If not, I will need surgery to attach the tendon, which I've heard would be a fairly long recovery and that I may lose some mobility in the finger. ...but I'm sure my tendon will reattach! ;)

I thought I'd also post a video from our ACMP play-in last month (this was prior to hurting my hand), since I haven't posted any videos lately. See, I'm still playing! ;)


Boulevard of Broken Dreams
I'm sitting in the far left, wearing black.


I really need to start posting videos on my Suzuki progress again!

2 comments:

  1. You guys sound terrific! I wouldn't not mind being the "weakest link" in a group like that. Those are some pretty lush harmonies and not easy to pull off with good intonation, and doing it while sight-reading is impressive to say the least. I'm sorry that you are suffering tendon issues! I'll spare you my standard speech about resting since I can never follow my own advice in avoiding the temptation of practice completely while injured, and instead simply hope you heal quickly and are blessed with copious amounts of patience and fun distractions. If you wind up needing surgery and are forced from playing the cello, remember, you could always keep making progress away from the cello by doing ear training exercises and music theory ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your tendon tear. I hope it heals on its own.

    ReplyDelete